[God] gave us new life because of what Christ has done. He gave us life even when we were dead in sin. God’s grace has saved you. Ephesians 2:5 (NIrV)
Though we were spiritually dead because of the things we did against God, he gave us new life with Christ. You have been saved by God’s grace. Ephesians 2:5 (NCV)
It’s a wonder God didn’t lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on his own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah. Ephesians 2:3-5 (THE MESSAGE)
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved). Ephesians 2:4-5 (KJV)
- Q&A—Why should I host a Zombie party?
- You can get all the answers on our link, “Why Should I have a Zombie Party?“
- Planning the Party:
- Methods to invite kids. Visit www.attackofthezombies.org
- Décor, party favors, music (Use as much glow in the dark as possible)
- Where to find party supplies.
- Amazon.com (has the largest selection under decorations, games, etc. Just type in Zombies. But remember, it’s not so much about Zombies as it is about God!!!)
Games & Fun Activities
- Needs to be interactive and engaging! Have graded activities—some for younger kids, some for teens.
- For the younger kids
- Pin the eye/worm on the zombie. You can download the template here:
- Zombie Jeopardy™ You can find the questions and files at our Zombie Jeopardy page.
- Dodge ball for younger kids (They’re dodging the Zombies who are disguised as marshmallows!)
- Get several packages of the jumbo marshmallows (called Giant Roasters™. I found them at Big Lots. Web site: campfiremarshmallows.com)
- Relay race using eggs decorated like eyeballs.
- Race to see what team can make the best Zombie/mummy on one of their team members.
- Have a sack for each team with toilet paper, fake blood and other items found during the Halloween season. Give a prize for the best toilet paper mummy/zombie)
- Prize for the best Zombie (kids create costumes ahead of time and have a zombie parade)
- Best “walk like a Zombie contest “
- Tag – Count off in twos so that you have two teams.
- Team 1 will be “believers” and team 2 will be “zombies.” After you’ve played through the first time, switch the teams are so no one is a zombie the whole time.
- Run off the sheet of stickers.
As zombies are tagged by believers, a sticker is placed on their clothes. The stickers are based on the biohazard symbol you’ll see in some zombie movies and games. The cross is superimposed on the biohazard symbol to represent the life Jesus gives the walking dead. For the template, visit the zombie stickers page
Ideas For Mini-Haunted House Experience:
Blindfold the kids and take them through a dark room where tables are set up. If you can hang string or purchase fake spider webs, hanging them from the ceiling at a height where kids have to walk through them works well.
Have the kids put on plastic gloves, or not, and guide them as they put their hands in bowls that have the following items in them. Suggest what they’re feeling: bolded words
- Grape eyeballs (Just get large grapes, add them to a bowl of slightly runny jello and let the kids dig for them.
- Spaghetti veins – just regular size spaghetti that has been cooked. Best if put in baking pan where they can move it around. You may want to cook two pounds of spaghetti for a really good sensation.
- Purchase beef liver and place in a bowl with some water to keep it moist.
- If you can find a rubber brain, put it in jello. Hightens the sense of feeling real brains.
Spooky Frosted Pops
1 Bag of Campfire Giant Roasters Marshmallows
Pointed One Side, Thick Wooden Skewers or Popsicle Sticks
An Assortment of Cake Frostings
Start by placing a Giant Roasters Marshmallow on either the skewer or popsicle stick (be careful, the skewers can be sharp). Holding the stick in one hand, begin to create your Spooky Frosted Pop by icing it with a base coat of colored frosting of your choice. Complete your tasty treat with detail frosting or your favorite candy for creepy spider legs or Frankenstein bolts.
After you’re done, place it in the refrigerator upright for 20 minutes to allow the icing to set. HAVE FUN!
Zombie Popcorn Hands
Human Brain Gelatin Mold (Amazon.com) Fun World Costumes
Dead finger cookie mold (Amazon.com) listed under Grocery & Gourmet Food
Halloween Brain Candy Eyeball Cookie Mold (Amazon.com) listed under Home & Kitchen
- Seven-Up or clear soda
- Lime sherbet
- Mixed together well and you could add ice cubes made in some of the molds shown above for effect.
- Chunks of Sod (brownies with green frosting and gummi worms on top)
Body part gummies
- (Gummies come in all kinds of shapes now.)
Flayed flesh and pus cubes
- (cheese cubes and salami)
- (rice crispie treats formed into a ball, dunked in white chocolate, with an M&M on top).
Zombie pudding cups
- Vanilla instant pudding with green food coloring or pistachio instant pudding
- Crumbled up Oreos or any chocolate cookie for topping
- Draw faces on the small cups with a permanent marker BEFORE adding the pudding and topping.
Jell-O Blood Worms
byAmy Huntley of The Idea Room.
100 flexible plastic straws
(The straws with a bendable neck make the most realistic worms by adding ridges to the worm. Place bendable necks of straws at the bottom of the container). An empty, cleaned 1-quart milk or orange juice carton works well for holding straws.
(The straws will fill up to the height of the container, the taller the better.)
- 1 package (6 ounces) raspberry or grape flavor gelatin
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 12 to 15 drops red food coloring
- waxed paper
- Combine gelatins in a bowl and add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve. Chill until lukewarm, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in tall container. Wrap together with a loose rubber band to hold straws together.
- Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Carefully pour into container, filling straws.
- Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Pull straws from container or, if you’re using a carton, simply tear the carton away from the filled straws. Pull straws apart. Run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers.
- Lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Worms will hold at room temperature for about 2 hours.
Halloween Cookie Recipe: Eyeball Donuts
All right… donuts aren’t exactly cookies. But they’re close enough for us! This is one of the easiest Halloween treats/cookie recipes you could possibly make—no bake, and really fun to make with the kids. Buy some donut holes and pick up some white chocolate on your way home. The hard part is done—and the rest of it is a ton of fun.
Makes 24 eyeballs.
- 2 dozen plain donut holes
- 12 oz. white chocolate chips, melted
- Blue and green food coloring
- 24 semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Red gel decorator’s frosting
- Wooden skewers
1. Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
2. Place one donut hole on a skewer and dip into melted white chocolate, rolling to coat. Let excess chocolate drip away.
3. Place on waxed paper to set.
4. Repeat with remaining donut holes.
5. Divide remaining white chocolate into two batches. To one batch, add green food coloring. To the other, add blue.
6. Make a small, round iris on one chocolate-covered donut hole. Immediately add the chocolate chip “pupil” (you can also use mini chips).
7. Repeat with the rest of your “eyeballs,” making half green eyes and half blue. Or simply make them all one color.
8. Paint on irritated red “veins” using red gel decorator’s frosting.